Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Monday, January 31, 2011

BAFTA shorts films conclusion

Over the past 5 days I've been looking at this year's BAFTA nominated films and exploring why these films were selected from the 100 or so entered.

The five films are:
One: Connect
Two: Lin
Three: Rite
Four: Turning
Five: Until the River Runs Red

What I was pleased to see was such a range of narrative styles and visual treatments across the films.

I think there is a general perception amongst up and coming film makers that awards go to worthy, gritty films that contain social comment and a social / political issue. And as writers all we have to do is to choose our issue; working class struggles, immigration, some sort of equality.

What is great to see with these five films is that it defies that perception. In fact, I say that these films prove the opposite to be true. There is more range in storytelling methods, more daring in the visuals and more good old-fashioned dramatic intrigue than there are in many of the feature films.

Perhaps the only 'rule' that seems to be reinforced by this selection is to feature the stories of children. 3 out of the 5 do that. As did my own film many years ago. I'm not sure why that is. But I think it is because coming-of-age is the short film's normal genre and this often occurs at that younger age.

I can't say here which I will be voting for, but keep an eye out to see who wins on the big night. Not that you will see that on the TV as they always cut the short film bit out - rats!

3 comments:

Adam said...

Hey Tim, did you agree with the winner? Was that the one you voted for? After your reviews I'm really looking forward to seeing this selection of shorts.

Tim Clague said...

As is normally the way the short film that I felt was the least experimental and daring (surely part of the rationale for a short) has won. But I look forward to seeing more films from all the nominees in the future. A good bunch of films all round.

Brendan said...

How typical less risk more pay off. Got to love the way the BAFTA retrogressively looks at cinema.