Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Sunday, October 24, 2010

Where did you steal that idea from?


I was asked to talk to the creative writing group at Chichester University recently. The photo above is a small glimpse into the tutor's office. I was pleased to see it fulfilled every single one of my cliché visions of such a room.

For me, the most interesting part of our 2 hour talk was around using other people's ideas in our work. Another way to phrase it could be; is it okay to borrow elements that you see elsewhere?

We hit upon an interesting analogy. And that is that ideas are like the atoms in our bodies. They do not belong to us. They were all made elsewhere. And afterwards they will become something else. We are only the temporary custodians.

And thus it is with ideas. They are only resting with us. And we must accept that they will be taken on by others afterwards.

No comments: