Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Wednesday, September 24, 2008

Watching " Slacker Uprising " by Michael Moore in the UK



Obviously I am very interested to see Michael Moore (in collaboration with Robert Greenwald at Brave New Films) has a new film out and is making it free-to-watch as I proposed for Circumference 3 years ago.

Great to see that happening and I am an ongoing supporter of Robert and his new distribution methods - as well as his documentaries. It's real quality, yet grassroots, stuff fuelled by his own passion and done because he believes in it. And that's what counts!

But a couple of flies in the ointments too.

One: I won't have to tell you why this phrase from Mike's open letter gets my goat - "That's why I'm giving you my blanket permission to not only download it, but also to email it, burn it, and share it with anyone and everyone (in the U.S. and Canada only)." Hmmmm.

Two: This is in effect an advert / propaganda tool. It's a political pamphlet in film form. So it should be free, just as we don't expect to pay for leaflet stuffed through our door. So this business model is not sustainable or typical. In effect we, as film makers rather than activists, can learn little from it to help us.

To me this film is good and welcome - and yet a diversion. But then I also feel we are entering an age where every film will have a unqiue business model just as it has a unique marketing strategy. And why not?

Anyway. If you want to check it out yourself and you are NOT in the US and you know what I mean by a 'torrent' then go here.

Thanks for reading and comments welcome from everyone in the world regardless of where they are! :)

Photo by Erik R. Bishoff.

1 comment:

The Uncle said...

Michael Moore responds:

http://torrentfreak.com/michael-moore-on-slacker-uprisings-piracy-problem-081006/