Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Saturday, September 27, 2008

A new way to write



Following on from a recent post here is another new way to do things courtesy of our comic-writing colleagues.

At Marvel they used to do the structure of the story / the issue, then draw it and then add the dialogue last. Fine, makes sense. Well how about doing a film in that way, using that working methodology?

Just write the bare bones structure.
Then film it.
And then write the dialogue, which clearly would have to be a voice over.

Possible? A good idea? It is kind of how we do Mr Vista to be honest. But perhaps we could go further...

Anyone ever worked like this?

Speech bubbles available to download for free from here.

6 comments:

Piers said...

If you were making a training film back in the 70s, you'd work exactly like that.

You'd be filming on 8mm or Super 8, so no syncing sound. You'd have a rough script to start with, film it, then write the dialogue and voiceover to add in post.

Piers said...

(When I say in post, I actually mean post-post. You'd film, edit to a rough script, then re-write the dialogue at the end to fit the timing of the actual finished film, trimming and adding words here-and-there until it fit.)

Andy Coughlan said...

I've been mulling over the idea of doing the second draft of my current project as a storyboard, rather than a straight script, to force myself to think visually. Very much as Marvel seem to have done.

In fact, I think I'll do it. Let's see what happens...

I'll post the results to my blog.

Tim Clague said...

Nice one Andy - a great experiment I think

Christina said...

Tim and Andy -

I storyboarded my last two scripts using stick figures. Time consuming, but worth it. Here are a couple of links:

Amanda -- "All is lost" moment
Bridezilla
Full moon dance

The board after I'm 75% done -

Board of scenes

Notice that scenes representing pages 55-85 are the last to be filled in - I find those pages the hardest to write too.

About 50 or 60 scenes in all.

Tim Clague said...

Nice one - the lesson learnt has to be - whatever helps you do your best work, then do it. We can't waste time doing it only the 'proper' way, whatever that means