Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Thursday, September 25, 2008

How long does it take to become a good writer


A phrase I heard about writing (possibly from Robbie Morrison) was;

You need to get 100 pages published to clear the crap out of your system.

Now this statement was made about comics writing. But you get the idea. We all have a certain amount of frothy head on top of our home brew that we need to get past to get to the strong stuff.

It could be 5 TV episodes. It could be 6 shorts. It could be 3 feature scripts. I'm not sure how easy it would be to seek a common standard for us as screenwriters. I'm not sure I'm even there yet! Are you?

7 comments:

Dom Carver said...

How long does it take to become a good writer? Too bloody long, I'm settling for mediocre ;-)

potdoll said...

i'm nowhere near there yet but i hope to pass the froth in the next few years.

Tim Clague said...

Of course some people's froth is the most imaginative time of their career

Dom Carver said...

I've tagged you, sir. See my blog for details.

potdoll said...

oh god I want to stay with the froth then!

Clay Lowe said...

This rings true with me and it's something that I picked up from Robert McKee's Story Seminar. And from my own experience as a writer, I finished writing a book a over the summer. It was a book I felt I needed to write in order to clear the deck of old ideas and stories that have been hanging around in my head taking up valuable space. And now that I have turned 40, I don't have room for all this stuff in my head. Writing this particular book was like having a good spring clean of the attic. Now I have room for more junk.

Tim Clague said...

Clay sums it up well. Clearing the guff out just creates space for more. But as creative people isn't that what we do. We curate ideas. We don't own them. We just pass them on. Like a junk shop owner