Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Mono culture


A nice day here on Jersey and I even got in a quick walk along the sunny beach. There is a new thought going on in my mind about mono culture. The term mono culture first came into my life when Suki told me about it with regard to a plot point in a script we were writing together. A mono culture is where a single species is grown and all others prevented. Examples being rubber plant fields, banana plantations etc. The plus to a mono culture is ease. It is easy to farm on a giant scale. But there is also a danger. The danger being vulnerability. Reliance on a single crop means pests and new strains of moulds and fungi are devastating. Variety, complex culture, offers immunity.

So why has this been on my mind? Because in business, and this applies to the media sector too, there are people who want to create a mono culture and others that don't. Some see the eccentric old boy as a strength, others see him as an embarrassment.

I watched out today for people with the special extra third thing. What I learnt is that sometimes some people don't like you to have it. But I am more convinced than ever that this is what we need.

No comments: