Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Tuesday, April 17, 2007

Where do you get ideas?


This is a post about something that I do that's a poor effort. Basically its lazy.

I have most of my story ideas when I walk to work, or work home. It takes 15 minutes. The good news is, I've found a little secret. I've found that walking helps me think.

The lazy part is, I don't do anything with this secret. I don't walk when I need some new ideas. Its as if I've been lucky enough to discover a pot of story gold but I can't be bothered to do anything with it.

But I'm not alone. I've mentioned this to a few people and we are all the same. Where do you get your new ideas? And do you actively go there? Do you use your 'secret'?

Image taken from Wimborne Road documentary - sneaky plug!.
Technorati Tags:,.

3 comments:

Dom Carver said...

I get my ideas while I'm doing non mental tasks that allow my mind to wander, like driving, working nights, or doing the hoovering; though my wife tells me I shouldn't let my mind wander when I'm driving.

The important thing is I'm always coming up with new ideas, way more than I will ever use. If only I could type as fast as I can think.

Dan said...

While listening to music. And since buying an ipod I'm usually listening to music whilst walking. Unless it's a podcast, but even then my mind wanders and before long I've missed 20 minutes of chat because I'm in 'ideas mode'.

Sal said...

Walking, and swimming. I've solved more plot problems in the pool or on the walk to work than anywhere else. The only problem with having good ideas in the pool is that you have to remember them until you're showered and dry! If someone could invent a waterproof pen and notebook for the poolside, that would help!