Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Thursday, July 20, 2006

The balance

A question often raised in person but rarely blogged is - how do we earn our cash.

Few people earn 100% of their income from the scriptwriting of dramatic narrative material. Suki directs adverts, Danny as we all know does script reading and I work in the corporate sector.

In the end it all comes down to being clear about your goals and what you want. Even as I write that it seems obvious. But how many of us actually do have that clarity? How long will you continue to write as you have been doing before you change tactics? How are you measuring how successful you are? What is your actual goal for earning money through film making this year? What about next year? What about in 10 years time?

We don't like these sort of questions. They don't seem artistic. But we also don't like them because they hold up a mirror and we may feel uncomfortable. But they wouldn't feel uncomfortable if we had a plan. Just a quick plan. A plan about balance and slowly increasing our scriptwriting work.

Yesterday I met up with Christina Ferguson from the Development Hell blog. She had an interesting story about how she (kind of) quit her job. You know when your life feels wrong. The only answer is to act.

***extra bit*** Meeting Christina shows me the power of the blog in action. People all over the world coming together to share new ideas. We'd never met - but we had a lot of shared experiences already.

1 comment:

Suki Singh said...

Good shout Tim.

I feel you have to be freelance in order to have the time and space to work on your projects from all the angles. I could never do it if I had a full time job, you do and well done to you for doing that. I chose commercials becuase I could continue to learn production skills as I am a director, learn new ideas, try out things and make new production contacts. This has allowed me to have loads of time to work on my scripts and paid enough to have 4 weeks off, sometimes not by choice. So today before my lovely lady returns home and requires some deserved loving, I'm writing for 4-5 hours.

It all depends on your life style, if you have kids, are focused enough to work from home etc.

To me, time is money, spend it well.