Find me online

Facebook LinkedIn YouTube IMDB ProjectorFilms   




Tuesday, November 08, 2005

Writer quotes

The Constipated Writer aka Jason D'Amico has a nice bunch of quotes at the bottom of his email. I like them so much I though I'd share them - in the spirit of the blog!

"As a writer, I need an enormous amount of time alone. Writing is 90 percent procrastination: reading magazines, eating cereal out of the box, watching infomercials. It's a matter of doing everything you can to avoid writing, until it is about four in the morning and you reach the point where you have to write. Having anybody watching that or attempting to share it with me would be grisly." - Paul Rudnick

"Every writer, without exception, is a masochist, a sadist, a peeping Tom, an exhibitionist, a narcissist, an 'injustice collector' and a depressed person constantly haunted by fears of unproductivity". - Edmund Bergler, M.D.

"When I'm writing, the darkness is always there. I go where the pain is." - Anne Rice

"The solitude of writing is also quite frightening. It's quite close to madness, one just disappears for a day and loses touch." - Nadine Gordimer

"There's nothing to writing. All you do is sit down at a typewriter and open a vein." - Red Smith

2 comments:

Rob said...

All very dark – but therein perhaps, lies the essence of any creative endeavor? So to that list I'd like to add this quote I lean on from time to time:

It is through more reason – not less – that the wounds dealt to the irrational totality of humankind by the instrument that is reason can be healed.
T. W. Adorno, 1953

And breath . . .

The Constipated Writer said...

Awesome F'n quote rob...